The past decade has witnessed a seismic shift in online learning and at the collegiate level. While naysayers abound, the growth in quality and variety of available either partially or completely online demonstrates that online education has become an integral part of post secondary education.
Percentage of U.S. companies that offer online professional development for their employees is 77%
Whitney Lowe recently wrote: Although there are challenges, online strategies hold tremendous potential for stimulating and advancing education within the massage therapy field. The potential for incorporating unique and advanced instructional design strategies along with multimedia such as video, audio, and highly interactive and engaging learning activities holds tremendous promise. We are now moving past the infancy of online learning and it is time to move past the early hype of simple online offerings like webinars or ‘text and test’ courses and welcome the challenge and excitement of new learning methods that can excite students and improve their competence.
The National Student Clearinghouse Research Centre said, between 2012 and 2013 the number of institutions launching e-learning platforms increased by 23%.
The cost to produce high quality video demonstrations is astronomical, just ask Ben Benjamin. He said he paid at least $100,000 for his videos.
According to iMod Education it is predicted that by 2019 at least 50% of all classes will be delivered online! , and online learning has been slowly increasing over the past 5 years.
Garry Adkins is now offering On-Line Course Development from start to finish.
Garry is fully aware of the requirements set by NCBTMB for on-line learning and is approved by the National Certification Board for Therapeutic Massage & Bodywork as a continuing education Approved Provider and is also sponsored by NCBTMB to teach New York LMTs continuing education that is accepted by the state of New York for license renewal. Every on-line course Garry has submitted has been approved within weeks. This is an excellent source of passive income that can be accessed nationwide, while putting your course in more hands and heads.
Using the industry standard Adobe Premiere Pro editing software, HD video cameras, Adobe Audition, PowerPoint, and Apple Keynote, Garry is able to produce high quality video content which can be used at no cost with YouTube, a paid service like Vimeo, or DVD media. The home study courses Garry offers on-line is completely contained within the website. After payment is made an email confirmation and link to the launch page where the participant can watch the video, download the course manual, and take the exam which will produce an instant certificate of completion.
NCBTMB guidelines for home study continuing education has become more stringent
- One hour of video or audio equals 1 CE.
- Providers may give additional CEs for course work completed but the course work must be previously listed. As in extra work assignments.
- Actual instruction is only approved.
If a Provider is using material created by other sources, he/she must follow these guidelines:
- When creating a home study course, NCBTMB will accept no more than 30% of the material from a cited source (this includes videos).
- Providers may use more than 30% as reference material, but the additional material may not be counted in the video time.
- If a provider is using a text book, each participant must purchase the text book through either the provider or the publisher.
- Providers must cite all material that is taken from another source.
Requirements for On-Line Course Development with Garry
- One month time frame.
- Course description.
- Learning objectives.
- Course syllabus.
- Top five benefits of attending the course.
- PowerPoint/Keynote slides.
- Video demonstrations are not required. If they do not exist, but you would like them, Garry is willing to travel to your school to video tape the course (additional travel fees must be discussed).
- Audio recording of the course is not required. If they do not exist, but you would like them, Garry is willing to travel to your school to record the course (additional travel fees must be discussed).
- Course exam which must contain a minimum of 5 multiple-choice, questions, (containing 4 possible choices), per hour of class. If it does not exist, it can be written. Additional $50.00 fee.
Development fee $2,000.00 with a 50% deposit and balance paid at completion.
Submission to NCBTMB
- All media files (video or DVD) will be returned upon completion.
- Garry will walk you through the submission if necessary.
- If you do not have NCBTMB approval, you may use the organization Advanced Massage Education for approval. Additional $50.00 fee.
Setup of On-Line Course
- Links to required media and coursework provided for your website.
- Ordering of on-line course, payment or free resources for launch page can be discussed or suggested.